Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Enrico Rides Again! and the week or so in review....


That's right it's been a while but I've been busy ( classes, working, lifeguarding, selling some of my possessions/soul to help my sister get to college, cramming in time to train. I feel flabby I've only run once this week. and I will get in a 7 miler tomorrow to get prepped for Hammerfest and little race coming up in a week. Sunday was a good day as I blew the dust off of trusty Enrico and went on a 6 town 60 mile tour of New Haven and Hartford County.

Yes for those of you who don't know Enrico is my sisters' pet name for my road bike. I am currently in the process of debating whether or not reliable Enrico ( with it's road gearing and granny gear goodness) to power my way through a New England Pyrenees senario or if I should suffer the climbs on The Bitch Stomper to gain speed and braking confidence on the flats and suicidal decents. It's such a tough call. For my long ride on Sunday I took out old Enrico and decended down to route 69 ( using a sucidal hill that I crawled down because cars F**king fly up and down it and I don't want to be a road pizza 2 miles in.) After crossing and turning on to 322 climbing "the Hill" near Pat's IGA I was treated to car infested rolling pavement until the usual fork in the road ( where I always go left ) and decended past the golf course into Southington. If I had gone right I would be treated to a 70-80 mph descent down the 10% gradient Southington mountain... trying to stop....not my idea of fun.....any way when I reached the bottom of 322 I took a right on to Marion Rd. I followed Marion Rd. Past Ansico Farms..over a hairy stech of grooved asphalt..across route 70. Then onto Route 70 then onto route 10 staying far to the right to avoid traffic and onto 42 to Lock 12 park and the canal trail. I followed the bike trail all the way to Hamden then back to its start point in Cheshire ( about 18-20 miles) I back roaded it to route 70 before crossing back onto Marion Rd. and then when I reached 322 I crossed and followed the other half of Marion rd. into Southington. I stopped at the Dunkin Donuts on route 10 to umm well..drain mass quantities of electrolyte replacement beverage. before backtracking to the bike trail which took me to downtown Southington. I rode through down town and stopped at the CVS on route 10 for much needed H20 and Gatorade. I followed Route 10 through Plantsville back to Marion Road. I did my second fly by of the three colonial era cemeteries then got to the base of the mountain. With my legs screaming for mercy, my brain trying to get in desperately needed salt, and my ego saying "Bring it On Bitch!" I climbed the 1.25 mile 10% grade monster averaging between 6.5 and 7 mph ( what hill's my bitch? ). I rode down Meriden road through the whole confusing three towns at once section ( officially putting me in Cheshire, Waterbury and Wolcott at the same time for 2 seconds) I then turned right onto Todd Rd. ( and officially back into Wolcott) and rode through it's nice somewhat pitted rollers, finishing off with a lovely 40-45mph descent. I turned on to Wood tick road and rode past rode up boundline again getting on to route 322 before getting onto 69 and doing a lap of my old hood and riding the last quarter mile home. All in all it was about 60 miles. in 5 hours average speed was about 16.5 mph not an earth shattering record breaking pace but it wasn't supposed to be. I capped my Sunday off with a 3100 yard pool work out up at Central. Monday was a some what rest day...went to class ,lifeguarded. got in about 1000 yards in the pool trying to pace Bjoern. Tuesday I got up early and got in a 4 mile run, followed by work, class, a 3500 pool workout and collasping until 8 am this morning. Today had plans for a 6 miler between work and class but a mad scramble to help my sister get fundage for college took precsdence ( how do you measure true love your brother will cancel his work out, max out his cards, sell his old books, and offer to pawn his high school ring for you. Along with your parents and other siblings doing the same...and when we find that mortgage broker who's been jerking us around for 6 months....well...alright it's not his fault our other lender is being a dick ..it's complicated and neither here nor there.) Tonight finds me letting off good karma and bad steam into the blogosphere.I've got 12 computer science questions plus 6 hours of sleep to get in so I can cram in my 7 miler tomorrow before work, school, and flirting with the sexy chicks from my guard chair. Leave the Love, or hate, or apathy, or utter randomness. Also Please Donate to the War on ALS! Even though it might sound completely insensitive we really need to Bitch Stomp this disease!

R.D.

1 comment:

Angry Runner said...

There is nothing insensitive about bitch stomping a disease. Stomp away, stomper. I don't blame you for not doing southington mountain...i don't even want to drive down it. It scares me. Pick up some gals from the chair.