Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Teacher and the Student.

" There comes a day when the Student Surpasses the Teacher."
-Me to Alex on our draining ride this morning.

Well this morning my buddy Alex and I went for a quick 40k ride. He just bought himself a new full carbon Felt B-16 and today was it's christening. As we left our normal riding spot in Middlebury he managed to build about a 30 sec. lead on me. I still remember when he had bought my old road bike off me 2 years ago, and was hardly keeping up. Now he was riding like a master and leaving me in his wake. As we climbed up into Morris he would slow to let me catch up. His progress has been amazing. The kid's got a talent in cycling. I can't say that I've ever been a better athlete than him as he used to school me when we swam in high school, but he has developed greatly as a triathlete. he's gone from an also ran to a contender, and on today's ride he's proved how much his skills have developed. As we turned around from Morris there was a stretch that I was leading on a down hill, he proceeded to blow by me and open up a 30 sec. gap. While part of me was like "Holy shit yet another guy that bikes faster than me." another part was proud to see him develop a strong bike leg ( as his run leg is his weakness.) While he assured me that I have plenty of tricks in the bag ( a solid run leg.) I was going over strategy for our next race. We're both planning on doing the Park City Mossman in Bridgeport in August. The course is flat which fits my ride in the big ring riding style. I seriously believe Alex maybe top 5 or even podium material but he's going to have to throttle the bike for all it's worth.
Today's ride was an eye opener, but it was a little tough. It was 40k with plenty of climbing. Likewise the 90 degree heat and humidity didn't help, but that's what rides on Hot days are for. They acclimate you to the weather and force you to adapt to different conditions.

As for my training I'm trying to settle into a rythym I've got a longer ride and a run on tap for tomorrow. To everybody Rocking Lake Placid tomorrow good luck and kick ass.

R.D.

2 comments:

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

That's awesome that the area you ride on has hills. Great training tool for sure! I love your top ten bucket list. Has it always been there b/c today was the first time I've seen it. I've got 3/10 on the list...Boston, ultra marathon before 30, and overall win and that was at an ultra mary. Keep up the great training and good luck with your flight "math" test.

Charisa said...

I have had this experience before :) Good luck with the training leading up to Mossman.