Thursday, July 2, 2009

One step closer to a crazy dream.

I just read through the athlete's packet for The K-Swiss/ Amica Ironman Providence 70.3. There are 3 Clearwater and 2 Kona slots up for grabs in my Age group. So my margin for error has gone from having to podium to having to top 5 to be assured something and top 10 to have a chance. I just hope the bank has enough to cover this. I guess I have to look at it this way if Kona is meant to be then it will happen by some means. The best I can do is race my ass off and worry about getting there after I get there. I still have a 1.2 mile swim 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run to get through with New England's best young guns. Guys that in the past have been able to tear my race to pieces with blazing cycle legs and runs splits that make me look like a tortoise. Because of this there is still a shot I'd finish where I did last year and not even be in the neighborhood of qualifying. Hence it is a bridge I will cross if/when I get there.

Until then I've got to go like hell there are some things I can control and other things I can't. On July 12 the only thing I can do is move forward at a hopefully swift rate of speed, and maybe when the chips are down and the dust has settled I will have my Kona Slot and then I can work on the implications of that. But until then I've got to keep training,I've got to keep working, I've got to keep moving forward....

R.D.

2 comments:

iron-boyer said...

You go...
All the best to you once again. I really think you can pull it off.

Runner Leana said...

I think you have it in you too! I cannot wait to see how your race unfolds!!