Thursday, June 28, 2007

You Know It's Bad When I'm Looking Up Air Fare

Well I've definitely got to settle down. All day to day I was at the Great Floridian Website looking to see if they still have open slots ( they do for a modest $350 a piece) so doing an Iron man distance race this year looks possible and with the times the field usually pulls becasue everyone else is at Ironman Florida I might have a shot to top ten overall this bitch. Ok because I haven't completed my half yet I actually don't know how I'll do but I might be able to do the race. Southwest is offering cheap flights, the hotels in Orlando are offering discounted rates, and I'd only miss two days of classes (Thurs. and Mon. yes I know you're not supposed to weekend an ironman, but you're not supposed to weekend a marathon either and I still did it in under 4 hours. ) Well before I dream of Florida grandeur and ironman glory I've got to get through my half. The swim should be good (except their sending me in the next to last wave) the Half-marathon is going to be glorious, it's just the damned bike I'm worried about. You would figure for a race of this scale that they would close the road to traffic or get a couple of state troopers or something but it seems like they're relying on course volunteers to slow the bikers down for traffic. (like we're really the dangerous ones. "carefully Johnny that crazy psycho going 15 on 10 speed might really hurt you, but don't worry about the teenie bopper going 60 doing her makeup and gabbing on cellphone while rolling around in her Honda she's got everything under control. ) Well I guess when you enter an inaugural race you have to take the growing pains that come with it. I think I'll do fine and if they don't have officials out I should try to draft the teenie bopper's Honda, it might save me a couple minutes. Well I've got a quick jog and a CPR class. So until next time beware those crazy spandex wearing speed junkies known as roadies. R.D.

2 comments:

Angry Runner said...

dude...

http://endureitmultisports.com//?page_id=7

or too close to your other half?

Park City Mossman Oly still open?

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I am of the school that "what you don't know can't hurt you". In other words, if you haven't ever done a half, you can qualify for Hawaii on your first try, and believing that doesn't hurt you any. And when you get to the half, well then no matter what, it'll be a PR. On top of that, I've had some of my best races when I wasn't AFRAID of what I could do and just pushed. Dude, rip the half, tear up the full, and no one can take that away from you! No matter what, whether you have experience or not, enjoy your long distance races. You're out there for too long to have a shitty ride.