Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Coming off the Post-Half Iron High.

Well today I got out and rode ten miles before doing and "easy" 3k workout in the pool. Work sucked as it usually does before a holiday, people coming in trying to cash and insane amount of checks to buy beer and explosives for the festivities tomorrow. My mind now is set on the Pat Griskus sprint. Now this race owes me one, in fact it owes me a couple. The last time I medaled in this thing I was 18 and heading off to college ( a two year hiatus ensued after my entrance to Fordham due to drinking, not enough fundage, and attempts to be a D-I swimmer). the sad thing is I finished second in my age group and lost plain and simply because of the bike. I seriously schooled the other guy in the swim and the run but because I was using a 10 speed that was two sizes too small, I lost almost five minutes ( I had a two minute lead from the swim, but only was a minute faster on the run). and in a sprint that's lethal. Last year when I made my glorious return to the sport (on better equipment) my attempt to win my age group fell on its ass quite literally. A crash on the rain slickened bike course, and fear that I had bent my back wheel caused me to ride ultra conservatively . Despite posting a PR in my 5k ( sub 21 min.) the damage had been done and I finished 8th out of 16 compeitiors in the 20-24 scene last year. So this year I head to Middlebury a man possessed. My recent good fortune at the Griskus olympic, Waramaug, and the Patriot half have me ready to kick some ass on July 11. My bike leg contiunes to improve and my swim and run prowess are as strong as they ever were. Part of me is beginning to think that I might have a slim, insane hope and going for the overall. If that happens I will be the happiest memember of the Angry team.

1 comment:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Why is coming in second "losing"? I would kill to have those kinds of results!