Monday, August 6, 2007

A cause bigger than myself....or trying to fundraise for New Zealand and a good cause.


For those of you who have followed my blog since the beginning, (or at least the posts about the Patriot Half) you know about my admiration for Jon Blais who died this May from a prolonged battle with ALS. (If you don't know who he was see the you tube clip on the right.) Now when I did the Patriot Half I had decided that at one point I was going to try to fund raise for the Blazeman

foundation's War on ALS. (http://www.waronals.com/).

after reading the conditions of becoming a Blazeman warrior, I started to think that maybe it was a little too hardcore for me. ( Afterall I tried log rolling across the finish line once and med staff though I was having a seizure, that and it blocks the finish chute for the guys duking it out behind you.) But since I am traveling to New Zealand and I am trying to save and raise funds for my travel expenses, I figured maybe I should fundraise for a good cause. I was thinking of giving 75% of any money I raise to the Blazeman foundation. ( the other 25% going into the send Bob-o to Taupo fund.) . I'm not sure and this is just a tentative thought so give me some feed back. Because lately I've been feeling like a selfish prick and damn it. The other reason is I do have a relative that suffers from Alzheimer's and maybe if they can find treatments for ALS then maybe that will lead to treatment of other neurological diseases like Parkinson's and the infamous Alzheimer's, I don't know now I'm starting to get all emotional and shit. But if anyone thinks I should try to fundraise like this for this or any other cause, please post a comment.
R.D.

2 comments:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I don't think that there IS a bad cause that you could fundraise for... except maybe the NRA. Do it for whatever lights your fire. If it's John Blais, then fundraise for ALS, if it's saving the whales, do it for the whales. I'm not rich but I'll give you all the help I can and give you some lovin' on my blog.

Angry Runner said...

my achilles hurts...