Thursday, March 26, 2009

More Yards in the pool than at my peak of Ironman training: and Why can't I sleep at night?

Well almost, I didn't mean for this week to turn into swim focus it just sort of happened. Monday night I did 4100 yards, Tuesday 3000 yards and last night 3700 yards.
Also on Tuesday I decided to push myself , main set was 5x100 on 1:20 I was holding 1:15-1:17...I must keep doing this set. Last night my main set was 5x200 on 2:45...I was coming in in the high 2:30's for most of them. I need to start working my sets harder...I know I have blazing speed in me somewhere I need to harness it.

Tuesday I managed to get an 8 mile run in. My pace is a little slow but I just started back it took me 1:16. Plus I figure I'm going to try to run 3 times a week for the next couple weeks to build strength in my legs...when classes let out more weights and more cycling...I'm actually thinking of doing the bike commute thing...since I only live 5 min. from my office...and won't need the car for the 20+ mile commute to class.

Like some of the others in the blogosphere, I've been suffering some insomnia. Maybe it's time of year, maybe it's stress, running around like a madman 24/7, jet lag, or other factors...but hopefully things will settle down and I'll be able to get more than 5 hours sleep a night. It's just starting to get annoying....and Juan Valdez's pockets are filling from the massive amounts of caffeine it takes to keep me functional....seriously the last few days have had me considering coffee on IV drip.... I need 1000 CCs of French Roast with 50 CCs of cream stat! I can thing of one reason I can't sleep and it won't be resolved anytime soon...so the best course of action for it is just try to ignore it and look at the back of my eyelids.

Well that's all from here. If Colombia's legitimate GDP starts to rise you'll know it's because I'm still up until all hours of the night.

Hoping to sleep...perchance to dream...
R.D.

3 comments:

Angry Runner said...

I'm no expert. I am going to tell you my hypothesis anyways.

In my estimation, optimizing swim performance is a combination of strength, conditioning, and technique. I'm guessing your technique is well along the learning curve, and your conditioning is probably better than your times indicate. I'd guess that if you were able to apply more force to the water, you'd be able to maximize and even advance your conditioning (assuming technique stays the same or improves).

Your (lack of) strength is your weakness.

But then again, I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about.

Bob Almighty said...

No lack of strength is my weakness,( man when I was lifting 3 times a week...my numbers were still well..terrible...but my times were dropping like crazy.) I'm developing a weight plan for when classes let out...because CCSU has a epidemic lack of Kettlebells and an over abundance of elipticals...who ever designed their weight room should be chained to a 10 ton bus and forced to move it with their weak hips.

But for right now I have to make due with Saturday morning YMCA sessions and core and bodyweight stuff at home....May can't come soon enough.

MaineSport said...

Maybe the lack of sleep has something to do with the massive amounts of caffine. Try cutting back and doing something else to stay awake...drink enough water that you have to pee frequently.