Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2008 Magical Mystery Tour

Well here's a list of the races I could, should. or hopefully will be doing in 2000 to the 08.

On March 1, 2008 I will officially become an Ironman at Bonita Ironman New Zealand. A 2.4 mile swim 112 mile bike and a little marathon will be my reward for a winter of long grueling training in near Arctic weather. Also this the major race I am fundraising for so if you anyone is looking for a tax deduction or wants to help make Lou Gehrig's disease history please go to my fundraising page and donate and I will write your name either on my person or on my bike.

After a couple of weeks of recovery I am debating whether or not to do the Country Music Marathon on April 26.I'll most likely skip it and Do the Nutmeg State Half Marathon instead.

June 9 I will take my second shot at a qualifying slot to the Big Dance on the Big Island at the 2008 Eagleman Ironman 70.3 . Most people are telling me I have a snowball's chance in Hell but hey I like proving people wrong. Also this will Be the Angry Runner's Half Iron debut.

June 14 I kick off my Tri New England Tour at the Pat Griskus Olympic Triathlon. This race holds some sentimental importance to me. It was my first Olympic race that I did way back in 2006. It's also on one of my major summer riding routes so It's racing on home turf.

June 21 the Healthnet Mossman is a maybe. It's CT club Championships so I can expect some pressure from my fellow HEATsters to take one for the team.

June 23 I have the first of two "fly by night" Wednesday night Sprints. the 8th Annual Lake Waramaug Sprint Triathlon run on the same course as last year. Unfortunately there will be no Saturday morning August race like there was last year...so this is my only crack at this extremely fast sprint course.

Now comes the most complicated two weeks of the summer.

On Saturday July 5 is the 2nd Annual Patriot Triathlon in Freetown ,Mass. Now This is Cranky Runner's first Tri ( hopefully he'll do an Olympic before this just to be used to running after kicking the crap out of his legs on the bike..I suggest the Healthnet Mossman its in Shelton, CT which is a about an hour train ride from the city, or a little less by car...and it's relatively flat. I'm on standby for this one for 3 reasons
1. Traffic in this section of Mass. Sucks already let alone on the 4th of July.
2. I've got two big races coming up in the same week.
3. I really need to find a cheap place to crash if I decide to go up and do this thing right or Aqua bike it.

July 9 the Biggest Wednesday Night Sprint on my Calendar. A race that is my equivalent to Macca's Kona and Pucon The Pat griskus Sprint Tri. Now this race and I have history. It was my First Sprint in 2002. I finished second in my age group in 2003 I had a college/work hiatus in 04-05 made my return in 2006 expecting to medal but having a lovely little bike crash take that away. 2007 I got passed 400 meters from the Finish to drop into 4th place in my division...in short this race is my hometowner and it owes me...big....

July 13 is the Inaugural Ironman Rhode Island 70.3 in Providence. Now this race is a qualifier to Clearwater (Plan B for Kona if I don't get a slot in Eagleman, New Zealand or the General Lottery). I'm hoping there will still be slots when my "Big Check" From the feds gets here..otherwise I will be looking for another long distance event to whet my appetite.

After my insane, brilliant painful, insert adjective here...two Half Irons in two weeks I'm not sure what's left on tap. I might take my battered checkbook up to Lake Placid and wait in line while cheering on fellow HEATsters to get a slot in the 09 edition.( or wait until I can register for Louisville or Wisconsin...Jodi.....) or I can do the Litchfield Hills Olympic on July 20.

August 3 is my little bro's birthday and what better way to celebrate by dragging my siblings down to the Connecticut shore for the Niantic Bay Triathlon...will Angry go Solo or will the Angry Relay continue its dominance .

August 10 is my 3rd crack at the Park City Mossman I won my age group here last year now its all about improving on the overall. Hopefully no GI distress on the run this year although I will be using Gu2O instead of HEED so I think my system might take it a little better, also I'll eat a little more than last year too.

September 21 I defend my Title in the 2nd Annual Nutmeg Man Half Iron. Last year I led my age group from from the gun. This year on a revamped bike course I expect Bjorn to give me more of a fight, and an Apperance by the Angry Runner? Last year course was a climb of the CT alps but this course looks to be smoother sailing with fewer of the big monsters that had to be slain last September. Sadly it's not at Lake Waramaug...tear....I really like Doc's pizza....tear..tear...

October 11 The Big Dance, the grand daddy or mommy of them all. The Ford Hawaii Ironman World Championships . This is the Indy 500, Superbowl, World Series, World Finals, Baja 1000, Le Mans, Boston Marathon, Wimbelton of Triathlon. To step on the sacred lava fields is a dream of many triathletes, to run down Alli Drive in the foots steps of Mark Allen ( Claire's favorite...), Dave "the man" Scott, Julie Moss, Macca, Al Sultan, Stadler, DeBoom, Reid, Michillie Jones, Badmann, Wellington, Newby-Fraser. This is Holy scortched Ground, If I qualify I don't care if I have to sell my kidney to get here.....Yes it is that big.

Otherwise I will throw down for the Great Floridian Iron distance triathlon. It's on October 25 Not as venerable as Hawaii but hey what's a glutten for suffering to do. Or if I've qualified for it, on November 11, I will do the Ford Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater,FL with the ING Hartford Marathon filling the September to November void on October 11.

All in all it looks to be one Hell of a year. Some more smaller races for fun might get added to the calendar of events but this is the game plan. 14 or 15 races minimum...so sit down, strap in, and hold on because Connecticut is going bye bye........

His bank account went into the Negative just thinking about this.
R.D.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that is quite the schedule. Best of luck in New Zealand. Hope you get that qualifier!