Friday, May 2, 2008

For those About to Rock St. Croix 70.3 ...I salute you.

Well that's right the St. Croix 70.3 is coming up and I have a few frieds down there as competitiors and observers. Ken has flown down to take splits and egg on his coach and Endureitmultisports Master of Ceremonies and lord of Lake Waramaug John Hirsch. Bree Wee last year's Kona age group champion is tackling her first 70.3 as a pro. Now why the big deal on St. Croix , sad thing was many moons and more years in college than I like ago, when I had the whole competitive swimmer thing going on, we went down to the island for some sun, some rum and some fun ( if you consider 2 a days in long course meters fun.) Needless to say I do not have to divulge the results of 40 something college athletes set free on an island where rum is cheaper than food. Also I noticed the lttle pamphlets for this tri when it was still known as the St. Croix International Triathlon, also that same year a couple of Candians decided to celebrate their divorce by winning Kona....

One day I will do it, and I will suffer on the moutains of this little island. Seriously, there are some climbs there that even our bus had problems climbing, so when they say bring an 11-27 bring your 11-27. But for anyone planning on going to St. Croix, the people are wonderful, the beaches are great, the rum...is cheap...and if you ever happen to find your way to Bongos Bar and Grill, if they're still open, you might see a Fordham Swimming T-shirt hanging in the corner, I'm pretty sure my name is on there somewhere...

Also Fort Christainsevern, or however you spell it ( sadly I don't know Danish.) is right on the harbor and makes for some good shots, as well several of the building in town with their candy colored pastel paint jobs. For nature lovers, there are several great beaches, and if you snokel or dive the place is a gold mine of good spots. If my thoughts are Vague I apolgize it's been five years and most of my time was spent in a 50 meter pool.

So for those about to tackle the island..good luck, I'm a little jealous, and have fun with THE BEAST!

R.D.

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

I am going to have your rum for you (and I don't drink) at awards... just for you!

\m/ EvilRacingCult \m/ said...

Wow I am in the same post as Bre Wee. I mean her win at kona and mine at Lake Waramoug we both impressive and all...

Bee, it was fun riding with you through the rain forrest, next time you hammer by me in the water can you slow up a bit, I needed some help getting through that swim. You, Kraft and whoever the other female was were FLYING through the swim. Its iron racing, your not meant to race the swim :)

Better yet Bob, can you come down next year and pace me through it, I can't hang with Bre in the water.

Great race and good job, see you on the big island (my gf Mandy got a spot so we are going :) )