Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tales from the Trainer, Positive outlook....

Well Yesterday New England got pounded yet again with snow, ice sleet, rain, pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Class was canceled so I devoted about 2 hours to riding my trainer to the tune of Rocky. Unlike my last rides where I was freaking out about my leg, or becoming a "Bob-cicle" this one went pretty smooth..also upon waking up yesterday I felt the back of my ankle, the bump is hardly noticiable, which means come Monday, or Wednesday I should be good to resume running, although they are predicting ( surprise, surprise) a storm on Wednesday and a storm on Friday, giving the skiers more to rejoice about...and guys like me ..well more time to reflect on why we live in this kind of climate...or a softer landing pad for my newly healed legs.

Yesterday's ride wasn't bad except for some creaking from my trainer, the side cover doesn't really stay on right , so instead of hearing a nice WHOOSH I'm hearing something similar to finger nails getting dragged accross the chalk board...part of me thinks when in doubt lube the chain, so that will be my post class project...plus another 2+ hour ride or a swim if the campus pool is open.

This Sunday it looks like it will be a good day to ride Temps in the mid to upper 30's. I'll just go to mass on Saturday Afternoon and ride Sunday morning and Afternoon. I'll assess the roads on Saturday and if it looks good enough to ride I'll do my Middlebury/ Washington loop. Loops of the lake get tedious and cold after a while especially because of that damn head wind...plus I need to climb a bit...if the roads in the area look well like they usually do I might just resign myself to the fact I'm going to have to pull a 12 loop Crit in the greater Waramaug area...break out the wool socks it's going to be a long ride.

Next week I'll handle that as it comes...I want to be in good enough shape to pull a Half Iron race simulation by the second week of Feb...not at race pace, but at the point I'll know my leg will survive.
I'm in the last build up phase for this race I have to get some more distance into my legs granted I should survive off of my summer miles but I hate tapping into "deposits in the bank" that I made long ago.

So everything is looking good for this little throw down in March I should finish it, the question is how well?

R.D.

2 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Just don't do anything stupid! Well anything stypider than an ironman at the end of a New England winter, anyway. If it hurts, DON'T RUN ON IT! Especially on uneven (snowy) ground. Good luck on your ride. And may the anti-flat force be with you!

Charisa said...

Fingernails on chalk board while riding trainer?! HOw do you do it?! Glad things are going well!