Monday, March 2, 2009

Surf Lake Taupo...

Well this morning I met up with Chris, another guy doing this thing solo, and we went for a swim from Tui Oaks to the turnaround ( Tui just happended to be the half way point between our hotels, he's in town and I'm out by the airport.) There was a fairly strong breeze from the lake toward shore and WHITE CAPS..yes that's right white caps on a lake. As we made our way out from shore to the bouys it was rough. The waves kept wanting to push you back to the shore as you tried to search forward...it was very similar to RI 70.3. Once we started on to the turnaround things got better..granted it was easier and faster to breathe to the left instead of the right. Chris and I got to the turn around picked our bouy and then swam to shore. I managed to get in pretty close to our bouy of choice but poor Chris was carried about 200 meters down the beach by the current. (To all Ironman NZ or Future Ironman NZ athletes...there is a current that pulls you back toward the Yacht club...so the 2nd half of your swim will be ungodly fast.) After changing out of our wetsuits he chimed up " Man that would be good to surf on ." It was if this guy from Cali was reading my mind as both of us kicked ourseleves for not having boards. He ended up meeting up with some of Ken's EST group includng Gus and Alicia from Mass. ( Mass being the New England State not a Cathloic/ Orthodox religious service.)

After breakfast stopped in at the Times they're running a follow up story and gave me Jude's number she retired last summer shortly after Catherine and Simon left. I got a massage to loosen my hip...Angry was right...the thing was tight as hell but this chick Tonnya from the massage service got it pretty loose and took care of the scar tissue in my ankle. Tonight I've got a 45-60 min run on tap tomorrow a bike ride and the town 5k then a get together with Catherine and company.

Things are going pretty well down here and I'm loving the $2NZD -$1USD exchange rate...I migt actually buy a few souveniers this time around.

Hanging Ten on the Lake.
R.D.

2 comments:

Charisa said...

Surfing on a lake is always a good time :) Have fun!!

iron-boyer said...

hey I just remembered that I was supposed to hand something in for you but I never got an email from you. Did you take care of it? My email: boyerbjo@gmail.com