Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How do I have to Talk to to get into the elite wave:The Griskus Sprint recap.

Well tonight was not a bad night. Despite pouring rains on the end of the bike course and the run. I did not wipe out but sadly missed medaling for the second year in a row. Also Catlin did not show. Here's the break down.

the Swim: What on earth do I have to do to get into the first wave.
Well the swim was good except for the fact that every year I'm placed in the second wave. Seriously I passed half he guys from the first wave next year I'm making it a point to request the first wave on my entry just because I'd like to have a shot for the overall win. Nothing psyches you up more than being one of the top 10 guys out of the swim with the race leader in striking distance. But anyhoo the swim was pretty good I got off course once and found my self swimming into a wall of elites just as I was approaching the turn around, but other than that no mishaps I think my split was about 11 min. But I'll have to check on that. Ok after a quick check I found out my swim split was a 13:18 not bad but not great. Good enough for 30th overall on the day.(I miss the longer swims where I can take out some of those faster sprinter types)
The Bike: Please don't let it rain...or at least not until I get through that s-curve.
After a fairly quick transition, I headed out on to my weakest leg: the bike. Now the bike holds a particular nervousness for me. (read my earlier blogs to findout why)Now thefirst three miles including that god-forsaken s- curve were fine (despite the fact an escalde was blocking my usual line through it). The climbs were pretty good, and I really didn't get passed by alot of people and i actually re-passed some of the guys who descended through that s-curve with little regard for their lives, unlike me who descends like I'm carrying a load of nitro glycerin on my bike, and I don't want to disturb it. Well about mile 8 or 9 the clouds opened and the roads turned into a skating rink. Somehow this feeling of invicibility came over me and I sped through the last down hill and found my self sliding wide on the next to last corner. I slowed up for the sharp turn back into transition and got passed by about 6 guys. I got back to transition after 34:07 on the bike the 139th fastest time but now I was pissed for the run. those six guys who got infront of me were going to pay.
The Run: The Rain man cometh
As I put on my racing flats I knew I had to go all out. I wanted a medal. I tore out of transition and began my methodical pickoffs. First I reeled in the group of 6 that passed me. (including a former swim training partner Ken " when I crash they need to air lift me" Davidson we tend to have fun with our own little game of how long will it take for him to catch me on the bike. This time it took him until the turn into transition). Then anybody who had a "B" (symbolizing they were in the 20 to 24 age group) on their right leg was a target. I began picking off one, three five runners at time. i picked off one kid fom my age grouped decked out from head to toe in blue under armor. Then another kid in a white and silver tri suit at the turnaround. As I checked my splits something felt wrong like the course was longer ( an it was they announced this at the post race that it was closer to 3.2or 3.3 miles so I'm not too upset with my 21 min. split.) But now I was just going like a bat out of hell. I had two guys from my age group hunting me down, and a medal insight. I was a hunter as I was still picking off runners and I was being hunted. I gave a glance to the Angry runner as he descened the hill on the run ( about a mile behind me) followed by Joe (a first timer sharing transition with me), and Justin ( a training partner from the Waterbury Y)( we were unofficially the Angry Team). As we approached the last climb I caught sight of the kid in the white and silver tri suit coming along side. He knew I was suffering as he kicked into high gear, neither one of us wanted to let up as we passed a 40 something guy. Finally he broke away, my cardio just couldn't match him, and to add insult to injury the 40 something dude got around as if to say I'm not going to roll over for you kid. Anyway we hit the flat I tried desperately to reel the two of them in but my kick was alittle too little a little too late. The kid in the white and silver tri suit crossed the line in 1:10.49, the 40 something squeezed me out at the line as I crossed in 1:11.10. I congratualted the kid, as we waited nervously for splits and results. My run split was a 21:49. good enough for 28th fastest on the day. My overall position was originally counted as 50th but more up to date results put me at 51st. And I was 4th in my age group. The kid who kicked by in the last 1/2 had medaled but he did it the hard way.It was a well fought battle. I went back to wtch the rest of the "Angry Team" finish. Joe was first across in 100th overall in 1:15.34, Justin was right behind finishing in 1:15.43. The angry runner came home in 132nd in 1:17.53 still faster than my first time doing this race. So all in all it was a successful day. Joe racked up some serious bling getting a first timer medal, and second overall for the first timers. left Justin, Angry and I left Middlebury empty handed. But I've got Niantic in two weeks and we shall our meet again in the Nutmeg State Sprint at Lake Waramaug or as I like to call it the search for more bling.

2 comments:

Angry Runner said...

If waramog is flat, beware...

Unknown said...

Waramaug is flat sans a bump and 1 moderate hill. Also HEAT gets it's own rack.

Bob O, great race report. I think the best quote was, "unlike me who descends like I'm carrying a load of nitro glycerin on my bike". I'm still tentative on the down hills to and it pisses me off when people pass me on something that has nothing to do with physical strength.

Ken Davidson is made of steel or possibly titanium. I've raced with him since the Batterson Park days.

Congrats to Team Angry, you guys ran really well. I'm thinking of starting Team Happy but we don't run as fast. Good luck on the quest of more Bling!