Saturday, July 14, 2007

I have felt the Power of the Big Ring...

And I like it.As I embarked on my "light" 20 mile training ride yesterday. I decided to use the "Big Ring" on the first six miles of my usual training loop (Pat Griskus Sprint Tri loop). I figured it couldn't hurt considering Angry Runner had used the same strategy to bitch slap my bike split on Wed. Sure enough I found out that as previous result have prove time and time again that yes the big the ring is faster and more powerful and...I'll just let common sense prevail, needless to say I was cussing to myself as I switched between the middle gear for climbing and the big ring for power. My training pace was about the same as it was on my Tuesday ride (because I had to stop twice at that freaking yield sign at the S-curve). But my max. speed improved to 32.5 mph from a not too shabby 30.0mph. The 20 mile bike ride was followed by a kick ass 3300yd. workout due to the disappointment on Wed. Swim Split.(Insane high school swimmers, next year I shall crush you! (add Howard Dean yell here).) So anyway that is how I treated the last weekday of my vacation, next week it's back to that usual life draining, brain hurting grind known as work. So today my schedule looks like this:
7:30 leave for waterbury Y
8:00-10:30 5000yd. workout (pain is weakness leving the body. I have to have a good split at Niantic, because I want some overall bling.)
11:00-? 60 mile training ride in Middlebury maybe get AR in for 15-20 of it with me.
?-4:30 Home, shower, leave for Mass.
5:30-6:30 Mass
8:00-11:30 Watch LeTour.
Happy training!
R.D.

4 comments:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Are you FROM Mass?

Angry Runner said...

Sorry Bob-O, i was just rolling out of bed when you were starting up your bike. I just did a leg-ripping 4.5ish mile trail run followed by a 5.5 out and back on thomaston ave. I'll make up the bike later today.

I am so very happy you've discovered the big ring. Speed is your friend...i hope you can continue learning this. Go around your hood and practice cornering in that empty subdivision...you'll have much more confidence and stability at higher speeds.

Wetsuit- I'll answer on Bob-O's behalf: No. He and I are both "from" a shithole small city in CT. We used to be neighbors in our younger days.

Bob Almighty said...

No I'm from Conn. But i'm a Catholic so Mass is my divine worship service, pay ho-mage to God thing.

Angry Runner said...

BIGGGG RINGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to make that into some sort of gang-type mantra.

let me know if you're going out do anything flat later today(sunday)