Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Might as well be walking on the sun.

Ok so I qouted The Offspring ( may Ozzie and Tool have mercy on me.)but that freaking song could be the best way to describe my 5k training run/deathmarch on the eve of the Griskus Sprint. Aftershowing off the bling I hauled in at the Patriot Half to my loyal mechanic/cycling mentor the all knowing Al and the cantekorous shop keeper of the speed arsenal of Waterbury, commonly known as the Bike Rack, Dave ( seroiusly this guy is a shorter lighter version of Jerry Garcia, crossed with George Carlin) I drove off to Middlebury to get one last tour of tomorrow's battle ground. Things were a little hetic from the start. First off the second I opened the door of my outback I was hit by a 100 degree blast of hot humid air. Second the liter of water I drank to be "well hydrated" decide it need to be evacuated. After a quick stop to the portolet, it was off on to the course. The first mile and half were pretty easy, downhill in the shade, close to the lake so I caught a nice breeze and a shitload of flies. I made the turnaround (which is in the open) and the next 400 meters combined with the slight up hill and rabid heat an humidity, made me decide to opt out of doing a second loop. (Maybe I should have pulled a page from no wetsuit girl and used the treadmill in the nice air conditioned house watching tour highlights). Any way I grinded back up the hill I had just ran down and much to my chargrin there is not much shade on the portion of the hill you climb back on. Anyhoo, I got back on to route 64 and let the sun and humidity take its toll on me, ( all I could keep picturing were highlights from IM Hawaii, where Jones and Macca were dousing themseleves in water, sponges ,ice anything to stay cool. ) I managed to get back to my car a whooping 33 min. after I had started out. Let's face it for a 3 .5 mile run regardless of humidity that's pretty pathetic. Despite the fact that my internal organs were being roasted, my body was pouring sweat at an alarming rate and I found myself in an altered state of consciouness as I gulped down a 20 bike bottle of Heed, my legs felt ready to go for another 3 , or 7, or 10 miles. Seriously I was not going to kill myself in the heat today, the asphalt felt like I was going to find shoe rubber melted onto it. (Think the scene from the movie Volcano when the MTA guy is trying to save the subway conductor as the car is being dissolved by lava) seriously it was hot! Thankfully tomorrow the run will be dotted with several aid stations and I intend to use them damn it! Oh yes and they are predicting a chance for serve thunderstorms tomorrow which means the tri might be reduce to just a 10 k run making all that swimming and biking and going crazy like a warrior training for this thing all for naught. So until my next post pray for good weather, because I want to mess some people up in the swim damn it.

1 comment:

Angry Runner said...

If you're deeply in "the zone" come 330 today, I'll understand if we do the "whatup" head nod and not much more. I'll be bringing a printout of the forecast and the regional doppler radar to study if you want to see.

As Howard Dean says: "YAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"