Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Pre-Game Show: Griskus Sprint Triathlon

It's 1:30PM an hour and a half before I leave to get my number set up my strategic transition and warm up for probably the third largest race on my schedule. Why is a freakin sprint rank so high up there, well this was my first and to win or place well in it would mean a lot. Second I ride /run this course in training all the time so I know the layout and desperately want a good result. Third, I have to own one of my old teamates from high school, on this course. Every she walks in after about a month of training and preceeds to kick my butt in the swim (god damn genetics she comes from a long line of kick ass distance swimmers)goes comfortable on the bike (I would have beaten her last year if I hadn't crashed) and runs a 5k at about my pace maybe a little slower (She's a D-1 cross country chick what can I say she better run that fast or her school's in deep shit.) This year I'm not even sure if she signed up but if she did, god damn it Catlin I'm gunning for you. all that aside a new comrade/rival has entered the mix The Angry Runner. Now this isn't angry's first tri (he's done a few relays as the swimmer no less, and one Triamugas or however you spell it) but damn it I'm afraid of him not so much on the swim or the run but on the freaking bike. I mean this guy descends with no regard for his life. His middle name is aero, let's face that comfortable little advantage I earn on the swim may disintergrate and I may actually have to use my climbing ski-iz-ils to catch him on the back half. Needless to say such traits will make him a factor in his age group. The big thing for me this year is to win my age group and throw myself into the mix for the overall. (Last year the kid who won my division was like 10th overall) After my good showings at Waramaug, and the chance mother nature might co-operatewith my race plan, I could be a contender. ( the fact that some of the big names Christano, Ken, ) are tapering for placid might also help. So all in all I'm looking forward to a good race, no trips to the ER or the first aid tent, and hopefull some more age group and perhaps overall bling to show off. So now I've got to go plug in my i-pod get that rocky music going and get ready to haul some ass. It' s Game time!

No comments: