Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Mother of all Bricks! and the Ken Schulz v. Cristano Gloria Ironman War

Today Sunday July 22, will live forever in triathlon imfamy: Today is D-day, Angry Runner's first long distance brick ( come to think of it I think it's his first brick) for those of you who didn't see the course profile check my last blog because we'll be doing two loops of it. It's pure hell for those who love flat hammerfest terrain.
Meanwhile 300 miles to the Northwest is Ironman Lake Placid, and two of my teammates/friends/random guys I bump into at tris and masters meets and we start talking about tri shit are currently waging battle.
First is Ken"Cookie Monster" Schulz, a powerful swimmer, fast cyclist, and decent runner. He is currently placed highest of the two after a 55 min. swim.
The second is Cristiano " the Brazillan super Stud" Gloria who trailed Ken by 3 min. in the swim. He's a decent swimmer ( even when he leaves the fins at home) a pretty good cyclist and just plain nasty on the run.
Currently the record between these two in the shorter races tends to go Cristiano who will make up some time on the bike and then tends to blow by Ken somewhere in the run. Today though I'm feeling risky, despite Cristiano's cycling and running prowess, I would like to see Ken win one for us swimmer types build up a lead on the swim hold it on the bike and make the runners work for it in the last leg. Also today is Cristiano's first IM so the results should be interesting.I expect him to be a little more tentative on the bike than normal, and the marathon to be fast be not as fast as his straight run road race splits. So currently heading into the first loop it's anybody's game but Ken has the lead. Hopefully in 09 I will have my own Iron War with Angry Runner and next November I will be taking on Dr. Jodi at Ironman Florida. But until then I've got some hills in Bethlehem that I have to make my bitch.
R.D.

No comments: