Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Say it ain't so Vinno Say it ain't so!

Yet another one of my cycling ledgends has tumbled from grace, and comically enough the day after I gave him a shout out for being an absoulute warrior. That's right Vinno blood doped and as a result he and Astana have quit the tour. I'm now thinking BMC is cursed. Seriously last year an otherwise clean Floyd Landis ( he was never dirty at discovery or U.S. Postal) tested positive for high testosterone ( but I think he was being set up. It not the United States' fault that we've produced some hard core warriors and the French haven't won since 1985. Or the fact that Europe's best lost 7 years straight to a guy with one nad. So please don't take it out on the ex-mennonite he's had enough drama in his life.). Tyler Hamilton confessed to doping not when he was kicking ass for CSC ( and *shudder* Cervelo unlike Ivan Basso who got busted cleared started riding for Discovery then got busted and caught on a Trek) but after he dropped out of the tour and won a gold medal in 2004 riding a BMC for Landis's future team Phonack. Seriously, I'm wondering if the real reason a BMC TT1 Time Machine is so damn expensive is because it comes with a season's worth of blood transfusions and EPO injections included in the price. The news of Giant, and former Giant, and BMC riders doping is making me consider buying a trek because we at least know Lance's domestiques were clean ( shout out to my boy Big George Hincappie). I just can't wait to see Barloworld's test results, their budget's so low they can barely afford coffee let alone EPO ( seriously if they find Soler doped I'll be shocked. Then I'll be stocking up on Columbian coffee because I' be convinced that it contains EPO or some sort of drug mixed in by Juan Valdez. Because with their underdog bugdet there is no way in hell they could afford the good shit.). Well anyway now that Team Astana is gone (or as I like to call it Team Borat) Discovery and T-Mobile better get off their asses and lay the smack on thoses cervelo riding posers at CSC. Seriously I want Jan Ulrich back I miss the Discovery, T-Mobile ( and the one year Bianchi) duels from the Lance tours. I miss the all out wars of the team time trials ( which will be back next year boo-yah bitches) , of guys in blue and white and pink jerseys scoffing at one another with disdain and then pounding the holy living shit out of each other on course. Ahh but what I long for is now in the past. I think next year I'll seek out T-mobile ( or if T-mobile leaves what ever team Giant is managing) to try to bring back some sort of clean riding to the sport. Sure I may finish in 187th place, but in the 186 guys ahead of me were riding dirty I win by default right?

2 comments:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Bobby-boy, I don't want to insult, but I think it's pretty naive to say Landis wasn't doping, and Lance wasn't doping just cuz they're American. There hasn't been any (repeat ANY) winner of the TdF that hasn't been implicated in some doping scandal since LeMond (and that includes Indurine: NOT American).

The fact that I think that everyone is riding dirty doesn't mean I'm condemning them, I think that there is incredible pressure on cyclists to be the best, or at least stand out; and as the professional cycling culture is today, they feel they NEED to dope to meet the minimums that their teams expect from them. What I think is REALLY f*ed up is that at least cycling has had the balls to test their athletes and say publically "Yes, we have doping in our sport and it's a problem, but we're trying to deal with it". And then football, baseball, hockey, and track and field feel like they can say "Cycling is a dirty sport" while they're not adequately testing their own athletes.

But yes, I do feel you on that, "Say it ain't so, Joe" attitude. For some really interesting discussions on the topic listen to the Competitorradio.com podcasts (especially Lemond).

http://www.competitorradio.com/archive.php

Angry Runner said...

No wonder Vino won the TT, raced like shit, and then won the last stage. I was wondering that exact doping thing today while watching my taped stage 15.

"I just can't wait to see Barloworld's test results, their budget's so low they can barely afford coffee let alone EPO."

Angry responds: Asshole!!! How dare you say such things!!! At least with Borat out of the picture Barloworld moves from 17th to 16th in the Team standings. HA!!! Take that and your $10MM+ budget and shove it where the sun don't shine!!!!

I'll leave the number crunching to you my dear homie. I've got a shipment from the UK on the way with my Barloworld waterbottle and beanie hat, along with assorted Liquigas crap and 4 new tires.

I eat stem cells before every race. Is that considered "doping"?

Oh yea, i had the brilliant idea of a distance "sprint" workout on the bikes. Must be flat, none of this hill BS. We could do the whole leapfrog thingy over 20 miles or so at waramaug or somewhere in the backwoods of cheshire.

Claire- Can we be on your Tour team next year?