Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Warrior with a cause.

Well as seen by the freshly minted links ( and the comments to my ALS Charity Post.) I have signed up with team Blazeman to fund raise for the War on ALS. By clicking on the link posted at this site you can donate directly to the Blazeman Foundation and the ALS Therapy Development Fund. ( I have also posted Angry Runner's fundraising page for TNT please donate they're good causes.) Now those people who know me and most of you who don't are probably saying "But why are you fundraising for ALS? You don't even know anyone with ALS?" The thing is I don't know anyone with ALS but I do know several people who are suffering from several different neurological disorders. One friend was a competitive swimmer and runner until a brain tumor and botched surgery ( ie docs didn't check for a rare disorder which she had and she nearly bled out on the table.) confined her to a wheel chair, she's brave she strong and she's fighting to regain what she lost. The second and most personal is my grandmother who is suffering from Alzheimer's. For me ALS is a triage disease, my friend in the wheel chair will survive and live to normal life expectancy ( God Willing) and it took my Grandmother several years to digress into her current state, but an ALS patient may only have 2 years from being a fairly healthy person receiving diagnosis to being on their death bed locked in a shut down body. My sincerest hope is that if we can cure or at the very least treat ALS so that it's patients may have normal lives, then maybe we can use those same technologies for those fighiting the effects of spinal cord and brain stem injuries, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's, and hopefully make these terrible and devestating dieases history.

No comments: