Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter...and the 57 mile bike ride.



" Why do you search for the living among the dead, He has been risen and has gone to Galilee before you just as he said."


or in a more frank term


" I'm baaaack!" - Jesus of Nazareth.


Like I said I don't know the exact Gospel ( either Luke or Mark's) but pretty much Last night and Today the Church celbrates JC rising from the dead and giving all the guys who were responsible for nailing him to a cross a giant middle finger ....( ok so it was JC he didn't have a vindictive bone in his body, and technically he was the forgiving merciful sort that didn't hold a grudge ( man this guy is light years above me.) but hey I know if I was savagely put to death and came back I might show my self in public to freak the my asslaints out....but that's just me....) and supposedly saving us from eternal death, and the weight of our sins and all that happy good stuff.(So smart alec smucks like me don't end up roasting over a spit for eternity, when we embark on the big sleep.) But anyway the whole resurrection story shows us this JC dude was in shape. I mean seriously what would his workout log say:


Friday:


6am-3pm Give Blood


11:00am-12:00 PM Carry 100lbs. Beam on a hill workout,


12:00PM Get Piercings


12:00-3:00pm Hang around


3:00 lie down for awhile.


Saturday:


Absolutely Dead


About mid-night Got up got dressed Rolled 250-500lbs. boulder a few feet. Also some dudes from way up north came down to chill and tell the homies I'll be going North to meet them.


Sunday:


6Am Bump into Mary on morning run to Galilee


12pm bump into 2 homies on road to Emaus slow down talk, chill eat dinner, run back to Jerusalem


7pm Chill with mama and the crew, except for Thomas, apparently he's still a little upset over the pirecings.


ok so maybe the JC workout log is a little sacreligious but I hope trying to break down the tridum into athletic terms might get a few laughs as well as give a little more understanding. ( Suffered, died, was buried, rose from the dead, went on a long run doing the whole I'm back from the dead tour of Judea, chilled with the crew.) Also I would really like to find a priest who would play ACDC's Back in Black for Easter mass ( that could probably get me excommunicated) because seriously that's the sentiment of the whole Easter thing. Anyhoo all the religious stuff aside.This is my last Religious post until Christmas so don't worry about me doing anything crazy like joining the Roman Collar Club ( there are two big reasons for this one of them is a girl.), or showing up on a Saturday morning saying " Have you found Jesus yet?"...trust me If God was willing to raise someone from the dead, I don't believe he/she's going to condemn anybody who is trying to be a descent human being, regardless of religious affliation or lack thereof. ... ( in Gregorian chant) Bob-o's Holy rant is over......AMEN!

In spite of my getting in touch with my inner good Catholic-boy self over the past few days, I managed to jump in on Speed Racer's personal Half Iron. On Saturday afternoon after an insane rush at the Bank ( made even more insane because only 3 of us were working, and only 2 of us were tellers.) I hauled out to Woodbury to Help give Speedy a good Butt whipping workout Connecticut Style. Our route was pretty hill. There were a couple of little ring climbs and a few descents but for the most part, it was a good day. The only major problems : The freaking 25mph Crosswinds. At times on the bike I felt like I was going to be thrown to the asphalt. But the route we took was pretty quiet except for some traffic on 202. We rode up into the ( Washington)Depot (,CT) and did 3 loops of the lake. We shot the shit most of the way up there, Speed's main concern was on the type of bike she should get Option A speed uber amount of money on pimped out road bike and throw aero bars on for tris.

Option B Get 2 moderate priced/equipped bikes one Tri decked out in full aero and one road.

My answer it depends on what you're going to be using the bike for. I believe she'll most likely go with option A main for the following reasons.

WSD ( Women's Specific Design) bikes have steeper seat angles than Men's/ Unisex bikes.

She's doing a lot more of the pure roadie stuff, including one major 5 day AIDS tour.

New England tri circut = hilly so unless you ride pure aero on climbs a road bike might be a safer option. irregardless I'm of the two bike school but its her cash and decision, and it will be what's right for her competitive sprit and checkbook.

The other discussion was about my decision to try and return to NZ next March/ Disney.

Right now Disney is on the back burner until I have fundage for marathon entry, ( IMNZ opens registration in April so I'm putting $500 aside to get in. It's the 25th Anniversary so I'm going to commit early. also I'll have a whole year to train.....) granted it will probably be sold out by then so I might go down just for moral support and bandit the last 10 miles .....yeah.....that's a plan....I can do that, despite rapid Disney security dogs ( down Pluto, Down Goofy.)

The reason I'm returning to Taupo in March ( in addition to my Schawrtzeneger-esque statement of " I'll be back!", The wonderful people of Taupo, the atmosphere and course that suits my strengths, as well as I want to get into cut, rapid dog shape to compete with the big guys, and qualify knowing I am damn worthy of that Kona slot. ) Is quite frankly to see mystery girl again. ...I'm not going to lie on that one.

Anyway we manged to get the ride done in about 3:28 averaging about 16.9 mph. Not bad for staying aerobic and the endless amount of climbing involved. Speedy will have a more indepth report as well as how her run went. (My intial plan was to atleast get 10k on the run with her but a call to pick up groceries ended that.) She looked strong when I left but like I said she'll finish that story.

Yeah so that was my weekend. A lot of time at Church and a lot of time on the Bitch Stomper.

Happy Easter everybody ( for those of you in the Orthodox faiths Happy Easter a few weeks early.)

R.D.

1 comment:

Speed Racer said...

Haha, I like the Jesus training log. Sounds a bit like an Angry workout, with fewer swear words.

When money starts raining from the sky I'll double up on bikes, but in the meantime I think I need to spend more time in the hills. On the bike, but ESPECIALLY running. DAMN! If you train on hills like the ones you had me running on the other day, it's no wonder you run so fast! My lungs STILL hurt!

Thanks for coming out with me and keeping me company. We'll have to play together more often when the weather gets nice.