Monday, June 1, 2009

What to do now?/ Wondering if that BA was worth it?

Warning: Negativity Purge!

Well I foundout from one of my old teachers that my High school is hiring a history teacher and that I should send my resume ASAP. Well I foundout they're already interviewing for the position so I called to see how I would go about putting my resume on file. The office secretary pretty much gave me the info in the "We're in hiring freeze mode...but maybe on the 31st of Never we might glance at the application and decide you're not qualified, but give you the sympathy interview because you were an alumni." sort of tone. Yes I know I'm a total optimist. Alright so I'm a little negative but the last 3 times I tried to update my career, I was told I was underqualified, the department was in hiring freeze, or it was a commission based ( read unpaid.) position. So can you tell I'm a little nervous add to that one of my co-workers made the comment that I'm going to be in my current position for the rest of my working life...yeah counting other people's money and getting cussed out by people that can't balance a check book for the rest of my life isn't what I have in mind as a vocational calling...but to quote my Aunt Marie "You're lucky you got a job Bobby, lots of people don't got no job Bobby." Not that I have a lot of issues with my job...I don't I just don't want to be 70 working a drive thru window. Plus I would actually like to put my degree to use I mean I spent enough time and money trying to get it. I don't want $n and several sleepless nights going to a wall decoration or fire starter.

On that note one of my professors is out of the state for a convention and I desperately need a grade from her course so I can get my Bachelor's in the mail. Note to self..never, ever hand anything in late ever again ...also anyone who decides to tackle a 40hour/week job and a 15+ credit course load should be adjudicated mentally incompetent..but that's neither here nor there...my big fear is that if I get interviewed and get the job that something will fall through like I won't get the grade in time and won't be qualified for the job and because of that fiasco never have a shot at a career in education ever again....

Yep all best case scenarios running through my head....ok I'm really spiraling here but the last week hasn't really been all that good. So my attitude has sort've been in the crapper. The fact that the news media suggestion to new grads is pull out a card board sign that states "will work for loan payment." and get used to the taste of sewer rat because that's the only meat you'll be able to afford, really isn't helping to assuage my fears. It's just I would really like to be able to spend a majority of my life in a job that I enjoy doing...not counting down the hours, minutes and seconds until I punch out....or if I am counting down to punch out time, getting paid a premium for my time. Alright so that's me purging out my fears of being a college grad in a post apocolyptic economy....I just really hope that piece of paper was worth the effort.

Wondering if Sewer rat is better roasted or fried...
R.D.

No comments: