Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I'm entered for Eagleman now I'm number crunching for IM. New Zealand

Yes that's right at 9am this morning I beat out the barbarina horde and managed to get an entry into Eagleman70.3 . Did Angry Runner do the same? I'm not sure yet but I'm sure he'll have it posted. Now all I have to do is work my ass off and I'll make it to Kona. Since I'm on the IM kick I still cannot let the idea of doing IM New Zealand die. Is it fate? Am I meant to go and kick the shit out of that race? I did some number crunching at work and have come up with the following tabulations:
U.S. Passport with Photo: $112.00
Airfare from Bradley International Airport on American Airlines (Hartford-Springfield,CT Via Miami and LAX) to Auckland, New Zealand: $1934.00 round trip.
Airfare from Auckland to Taupo via Air New Zealand: $150.00 ( including ground service in Taupo)
Hotel for 7 days in Taupo: $990.55
IM New Zealand Entry Fee: $520.00
Getting an IM finishers medal in foregin country yet understanding what everyone is saying: $3700.00 and Priceless.
Another option was offered from orbitz. It follows:
Flight from Bradley to Taupo via United Airlines +7 days same hotel in Taupo: $2961.00 (round trip)
Bike handling fees $300.00( dirty wankers American at least lets my bike fly for free...ingreats!)
IM entry fee:$520.00
Passport:$112.00
$3893.00 total.... Well it looks like Bob beats the travel deal...choke one up for me.
Now I must start that all important racking up of the fundage. I have sent letters to several of the brands/companies I frequent asking for sponsor ship...I'll be expecting a large stack of rejection letters in the next 10 to 14 business days, but hopefully there will be a diamond in the rough..maybe some one will say "yes we will sponsor you ,you masocistic psychopath." and I'll get cash, or some free shawg.. ( to the fine folks at Giant, Cannondale and Trek if you have a time trial bike you want to crash test I'm game.) Another option on the flights is that since I have spent so much on my Master Card and having been racking up frequent flier miles like a bastard I might actually get a free flight. I 'm also almost tempted into sending a letter in to Waterbury's ...or should I say Litchfield County's newspaper, The Republican American, and tell them of my audacious plan. Granted the snobs in the office will probalby overlook it. Afterall "he is from Wolcott, it's not like he's from Southbury, or Middlebury, or god from a less refined area in Litchfield." Afterall the paper consists of kissing the asses of socialites in Woodbury, Middlebury,Litchfield County, Cheshire...the classy suburbs and completely bashing Waterbury, Wolcott, Prospect, and Torrington. Seriously in the local section you'll read a story about a kindergardener from Washington Depot giving $5000 from his trust fund to help the cancer society, and on the next page read about two lifelong Waterbury boys getting busted for selling dope and pushing prostitutes. Seriously, I don't mean to debase the good deeds of the people of the afformentioned classy suburbs, but can you publish some good stories about the town you based in, and not just when a Republican Politician shows up at a school to try to get inner city votes? ...ok my ass chewing of the Republican American is over. but seriously they do need to print some good news maybe this would be it. Well I want to get a swim in and then maybe a late bike ride so I will stop my rantings and ravings. Also if any one is interested in donating to the Send Bob-o to Taupo fund please leave a comment and I will get back to you in the order they are left.
R.D.

No comments: