Friday, September 12, 2008

And I thought parents were supposed to talk you out of doing crazy shit.

Well, tonight I sat down and talked to my dad about the knitty gritty about Pepere's place. My sister Melissa is desperate for her own space, so come June if Pep's is in the apartment complex chasing all the little old ladies like a pro, my sister will be moving in with me. So rent and Utilities just got halved. I put in for a promotion at work, our Customer service rep has moved up the corporate chain of command so I figure a two pay grade bump up would be nice, also put in for a wire correspondent ( pretty much an over glorified back office spot who makes sure the wires sent from our bank aren't violating OFAC and ending up in the hands of our mortal enemies, wires coming in are making it in and wires in transit have reached the intermediate institution, in essence I'd sit on the phone all day.) that would be a 5 pay grade upgrade ( hopefully that would work out.) Regardless we got too talking about money and bills ( one of my major sources of stress.) I told him I was opting out of doing Ironman New Zealand he looked at me blinked

Dad: Bob you work you ass off for that all year
Me: Yeah but I figure I could pay ahead some bills, I mean I've been a little behind...
Dad: Were you in the same spot last year..
Me: Yeah but...
Dad: You don't do anything bigger than a few local races most of the time, GO! Do it!
Me: Yeah but...
Dad: Do it..It'll workout......

Seriously I thought parents were supposed to talk you out of doing crazy shit like spending a quarter of your salary, traveling half way across the planet and waging unholy war on your body and class schedule. My loan's been disbursed so I should have a check in a week which means bills get paid and I will have entry into at least one 140.6 mile 226.2 km love fest. If I make Kona I'm selling a kidney, or I'm going to have to start dancing at Metro North Stations in Fairfield County, or become Bob Almighty Male Gigolo.....

In lighter news Speedy Claire has entered Ironman Mexico for 2009, hopefully they'll be using bottled water at the aid stations. Although she had some choice words for WTC I think she'll have a blast and a Kona slot might be within reach, especially if she has a repeat of her Vineman bike split sans getting hit by a truck.

Well thhat's all for me tonight, I''ve got to go analyze flight data and see if Catherine's still living in Taupo, otherwise I'll be crashing at Tui Oaks again...which was a nice place.

R.D.

3 comments:

Cee. said...

well hey buddy, if your family wasnt here to talk you INTO crazy stuff... then you'd live under a rock and never do anything. that's why you love us :D

<33 chrissyy

Ms. D said...

Your dad sounds cool. Life is too short not to follow your dreams

iron-boyer said...

I will try my best to help you out with some travel money from CenTRI but what about IM AZ?