Monday, April 7, 2008

There's a first time for everything.....

For the first time in my career, I used a sick day (gasp).....yes that's right It's the end of the world as we know it. I have troopered in to work and class with 100 degree fevers, coughing all over myself, and mucus running out my nose like a fountain. Burning the candle at both ends going to bed at 1am and waking up at 5am. I've shelped in on days many people would have been pondering hospital admission on. This time, it wasn't as extreme but I decided to take the day off from the bank and class, to get some rest, do some classwork ( and email it. email is my savior.....or to paraphrase Ben Franklin: Email is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.)

I have discovered that the Victorian House wife was the equivalent to Today's paramedic, and that she was expected to do everything in the house...and in 3 petticoats and a corset, no less. Seriously these chicks were like F**king field medics " Quit moaning dear.I'll set your broken leg , right after I give Junior Opium for his toothache and put the roast in the oven." type of girls. Seriously these chicks must have been mentally and physically hard for all the crap they had to put up with....either that or they knew just how wonderful sedatives were.....reciepe for Turkey, 1 x 11lb.Turkey, 2 tsp. cloves, 1 bay leaf, 3oz. of opium, 4 oz. of Arsenic... roast until the arsenic is no longer detectable serves 3-8 ....hold the arsenic if you love them..... no wonder the life expectancy was 50........Kudos ladies, kudos.... ok I'll put the Robitussin down now.....


Tonight not much on tap, rest, more work, one of my friends wants me to flim his stroke, I might do it tonight otherwise there's always tomorrow. I might have to go to Yale in my quest for sources, maybe this will lead to one of those crazy, Bobby goes Ivy Leauge Posts. Two weeks until D-day when the first draft is due I'm hoping that I'll be able to Get it done quickly and painlessly. I know the point I want to make and now I just have to use a lot of quotes to back me up. Seriously as soon as I'm done with this paper I'm going to hit the road like it's never been hit before, and I will fly on my aluminum beast like I've never flown before....oh how I pine for the open road, and how I hate the colleague who gave me this dreaded upper respiratory bug. Oh Curses Upon You....(Cough Cough Cough!) I spit mucus in your genreal direction ( hawks a lugee Cough Cough , Sneeze, Cough!) Ok over dramatic Plauge upon who ever gave me this thing rant done. ( cough cough, sneeze.)
Alright, on that note I'm going to grab a cup of tea, leave the computer lab for my nice warm bed, and get some shut eye. Until next time.

The Hallucinating Historian
R.D.

No comments: